Hearing Notices

None currently scheduled


Laws & Regulations

BPW's draft Tidal Wetland Regulations, COMAR 23.02.04, were published in the Maryland Register on 3/26/21 (Volume 48, Issue 7, pages 264-272) with a 30-day comment period.

The link to the proposed regs can be found here​.

Current Regs vs Proposal:
Side-by-Side Comparison

Title 23.02.04: State Tidal Wetlands Licensing Procedures 

Title 26.17: Water Management 

Additional Links: Regulations

Maryland Code Environment​


Check Back Soon

Resource Links



Maryland Department of Environment, Wetlands and Waterways​

Tidal Wetland Permits and Licenses​​

MDE Compliance & Complaints

The Chesapeake Bay Program

Tidal Wetlands Consultants List

Maryland Marine Contractors Licensing Board​

Maryland Department of Natural Resources​


U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Baltimore District

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 3

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service​


​Wetlands Administration

​​The State of Maryland seeks to preserve and prevent unnecessary disturbance to the wetlands. An individual or organization who intends to dredge or fill tidal wetlands must first obtain a state tidal Wetlands License. Before a license is issued, the state tidal wetlands law requires consideration of "the varying ecological, economic, developmental, recreational, and aesthetic values" the project presents.

The Board of Public Works authorizes tidal Wetlands Licenses. In some cases, the Board allows the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE) to directly issue a license. In other cases, MDE reviews the application and makes a recommendation to the Board as to whether a license should be issued. In those latter cases, the Board's Wetlands Administrator receives MDE's recommendation, makes his own independent review, and then submits a recommendation to the Board of Public Works. The Board votes to grant or deny the license application at one of its open meetings. 

Activities Requiring Tidal Wetlands License

A Wetlands License is required before you dredge, fill, or alter state tidal wetlands. This includes horizontal directional drilling. 

Examples of activities for which you need a license are:
  • Beach nourishment
  • Boat ramps
  • Borings
  • Bulkheads
  • Dredge or basin excavation
  • Horizontal directional drilling (HDD)
  • Jetties or groins
  • Marsh creation
  • Mooring piles
  • Nesting poles
  • Piers and boat lifts
  • Stone breakwaters
  • Stone revetments
  • Utility lines, pipes, and conduits

License Types

General Licenses

A General License is authorized for activities that are "minimally disruptive." These activities are listed at COMAR The Maryland Department of the Environment issues general licenses directly to the applicant.

Individual Licenses

An Individual License is required if a project involves construction or activity that does not fit into the specific general license categories. The Board of Public Works itself issues individual licenses for projects that do not qualify for a general license. MDE gives the application the initial review, prepares a report and recommendation, and forwards the report to the Board's Wetlands Administrator who, upon review, concurs with it or prepares his own recommendation. Then, the Wetlands Administrator submits the entire record to the Board of Public Works for consideration at an open meeting.

Expedited Licenses

An Expedited License may be issued on an emergency basis if the Wetlands Administrator and MDE agree that an emergency condition or undue hardship necessitates immediate action. However, after the license is issued on an expedited basis, the Board will review the matter at an open meeting and determine whether to grant an Individual License.


Applicants for tidal Wetlands Licenses - whether applying for General, Individual, or Expedited Licenses - must fill out the Joint Federal/State Application for the Alteration of Any Tidal Wetland in Maryland and submit it to MDE. See MDE's Web site for application information​. ​

License Fees

Applicants for Individual Licenses pay a license fee to the Board of Public Works upon approval of the license.
  • License for most shoreline erosion control projects: $250
  • License when public hearing is held: $500
  • License for projects that improve access to navigation or for activities related to commercial riparian lands: $1000
  • License for spur channel dredging project when local government dredges main channel: $50

US Army Corps of Engineers

For information on federal licensing procedures, go to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Contact Info

Bill Morgante
Wetlands Administrator

80 Calvert Street
Louis L. Goldstein Treasury Building.
Annapolis, MD 21401

Email: bill.morgante@maryland.gov​
Phone: 410.260.7791
Fax: 410.974.5240​